Name, Objectives, Constitution and Rules
Adopted at the Foundation Conference of the Party, at Hyderabad on 28th May, 2011 (Twenty Eight May Two Thousand Eleven)
1. Name: The name of the organization will be Socialist Party (India).
2. Objectives: The aim of the Socialist Party (India) is to establish a socialist society. The Party believes that socialist society can be achieved only by total revolution. The Party will carry on activities conducive to propagation of socialist policies and programs. The members will engage in constructive activities like cooperative management of both production and distribution sectors. The Party will promote decentralization of economic activities by developing small scale industries based on controllable machines as far as possible. Party will launch peaceful struggles against anti-people activities of the ruling classes and the State. The Party will also participate in parliamentary processes like fighting elections held by the Election Commission of India within five years of the formation of the Party to stabilize gains of the movement. The Party also believes that socialism cannot be achieved unless socialist mind of the people is developed .It can be achieved through change of approach and habits for which cultural revolution will have to be engineered. Women and backward castes will have to be empowered so that they can effectively influence decision making process. The Party will not indulge in violent activities nor would it incite or encourage it. The Party is firmly committed to peaceful means .
3. Allegiance to the Constitution: The Socialist Party(India) shall bear true faith and allegiance to the Constitution of India as by law established and to the principles of socialism,secularism and democracy and would uphold the sovereignty, unity and integrity of India.
4. Central Office: The Central Office of the Party will be at the office of the Vidyut Mazdoor Panchayat, Lohia Mazdoor Bhawan, 41/557, Dr. Tufail Ahmed Marg, Narahi, Lucknow.(U.P) Pin. 226001.
5. Membership: There will be two types of membership-a. Primary member, and b. active member.
a). Primary member: Any Indian citizen having attained age of eighteen years and subscribing to the objectives of the Party may become primary member of the Party by paying Rs. 10 (Ten rupees only) as membership fee for two years. After two years, membership will have to be renewed. Membership year will start from 1st April.
b). Active Member: A primary member of the Party can become Active member after approval of the State committee on recommendation of respective district committee which will verify conduct of the person for one year, and his political and personal behavior and commitment to democratic socialism , the financial contribution given or collected by him , his participation in agitations, meetings and readiness to sacrifice for the party. He should follow party discipline and code of conduct prepare by the Party. He has to contribute 5% of his income to the party funds regularly .He should enroll at least 20 primary members of the party one-third of whom must be female.
a) Village/ town committee-If at least 20 primary members and (one active ) are enrolled in a village/town , a village/ town committee may be formed. There will be one president and one secretary and five members who will be elected in a meeting of all the members of the party in that locality. The committee will meet at least once a week to chalk out activities of the party.
b)A block/ tehsil committee can be formed if at least primary party units are formed in at least 5 % of the villages in the tehsil.The committee will have one president, one secretary, one treasurer and four members to be elected in a meeting of all the members residing in the tehsil. It will meet once in a month to chalk out activities.
c) District committee can be formed if at least two block/tehsil committees are properly constituted in the district. There will be one president, one secretary, one treasurer and seven members to be elected in a meeting of all members of the tehsil committees of the district. It will meet once in two months to chalk out activities.
Note: A metropolitan city or one having municipal corporation will be deemed as a district for this purpose.
d)State Committee-A State committee can be formed if at least five district committees are constituted in the state. It will have one president, three vice presidents, three general secretaries, three secretaries, one treasurer and 21 members to be elected in a biennial meeting of all members of the district committees in the state.
A state committee:
i) may appoint ad hoc committee for a district in which no members are enrolled,
ii) may print membership books and other literature.
iii) keep proper accounts of all monies received and spent for the party. It will have to remit to the Central Office membership fee share.
iv) keep records of activities of the active members.
v) may elect state Discipline Committee (with one president, one secretary and three members) which will start disciplinary action process against a member who has committed an act detrimental to the interests of the party and after giving him opportunity to put forth his case may recommend to the national level Discipline Committee to take disciplinary action against the person.
vi) may meet once in three months to discuss and decide about political and organizational matters.
e) National Council—National council will be the apex body of the Party. Each properly constituted district committee will elect three members of the National Council. Number of members of the National Council will not exceed 5 % of the total members of the Party.
The National Council will meet once in two years and elect one president, three vice presidents, three general secretaries, three secretaries and one treasurer plus 31 members of the National Committee. The president will preside over meetings of the National Council and also the National committee.
National Council will discuss political matters and formulate policies. Amendment to the constitution of the party as also decision about merger or dissolution of the party will be taken in the meeting of the National Council convened for that purpose.
Discipline Committee of one chairman , one secretary and three members will be elected by the National Council. If any member of the party commits an act of indiscipline that would be detrimental to the interests of the party, Discipline Committee , on complaint by any party committee , or suo moto, can initiate disciplinary action and after giving due opportunity to the person concerned to explain his behavior, may debar the person from the membership of the party. The person aggrieved by the decision of the Discipline Committee may prefer an appeal before the National committee which will hear him and take decision.
f) National Committee – After the National Council elects National Committee, it may
i) elect four vice-presidents and three secretaries of the Party,
ii) will meet once in six months
iii) will run Central office of the Party and take decisions about the personnel therein, and other related matter and engage with the Election Commission of India as and when required.
iv)constitute Central Parliamentary board with one president, one secretary and five members which will decide candidates of the party for Parliamentary and State legislature elections. Its decisions will be final.
v) to take steps towards implementation of the decisions of the National Council,
vi) to decide about opening and running of the bank accounts of the party, and maintain accounts of receipts and expenses and get them audited by a Chartered accountant.
vii) submit copy of the income tax return to the Election Commission within 60 days of completion of the financial year .
viii) to formulate code of conduct for party members and make rules about the division of membership fees and other party funds.
7.Rules to be followed by committees at all levels:
i)Term of the committee above block/tehsil level will be two years.
ii)Only active members will be eligible to contest election to a committee above district level.
iii)Party will strive to have 33 % female members in every committee but it will at least have 10 % of the members from females and S.T./S.C./OBC/VJNT and minorities.
iv) all decisions in every committee will be taken by majority of the members present and voting.
v) Quorum will be one-third for the meetings all committees.
8.Amendment to the party constitution-If the National committee feels that a certain amendment to the party constitution (except Article 3 )is to be effected , it may convene special convention of the National Council where decision will be taken by 3/4th majority of those present and voting.
9. Merger/dissolution of the party – If the National Committee feels that the party is to be merged with any other party or to be dissolved, it will convene a special convention of the National Council and also invite members of the National, State and district committees to that special convention which, after deliberations, take decision by 3/4th majority.
10. Submission of the party accounts – The party will submit its annual financial return to the Commission within 6 months of the end of each financial year and audit of the party accounts will be conducted by an auditor empanelled with the CAG. The fund of the party will be used for political purpose only and the party will abide by the instructions issued by the Commission from time to time in the maintenance of its accounts.